Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cincinnati Zoo

On nice days back in Columbus, the kids and I would love to go see the animals at the zoo. We had a season pass so it was easy to make quick trips. Our favorites were the elephants, tigers, lions and polar bears. I also loved going for the workout. The Columbus Zoo is really spread out so it made for a good walk while seeing all the neat exhibits. I love being efficient.


So when we moved to Cincinnati, we had to get a pass to the Zoo here too. Fortunately we received it as a gift for the whole family for Fia's birthday back in January. Last week we finally had a beautiful day that we weren't busy, so off we went.


Madeline was our navigator. She is obsessed with Dora lately and everything to do with maps. So when we had to consult our map to see where to go, she was all over it.



Poor Fia missed a lot being stuck in the stroller. Many of the animals can't be seen from such a low vantage point, so that was disappointing. I pulled her out a few times though so she could see. I suppose she's more of a people-watcher anyway.



Madeline saw a picture of the new baby giraffe in the newspaper a few weeks ago (because you know, she reads the paper everyday) and hasn't stop talking about it since. So when we passed by the giraffes, she was super excited. I also think she was especially excited because the Columbus Zoo doesn't have one, so she'd never seen one in person before. Unfortunately, the line to see the new little guy was super long so we had to skip him this time around. But we did get to see one of the bigger guys.



The polar bears are always fun to watch. These guys were taking a swim. This habitat doesn't even come close to the brand new one at the Columbus Zoo, but I'll try not to compare. Madeline won't notice.



I will say that I like the Lion exhibit better here though. They have decking that pretty much makes the Lions sit right out in front so you can't miss them.




As we were walking along, we saw a face painting booth and Madeline got super excited. Normally I wouldn't give in to this, but I've been feeling like we need extra fun in our lives so I gave in. She LOVED it!!



Check out this cool path! Hard to get the stroller through, but definitely fun.



As we were leaving, we saw a peacock showing it's feathers. I couldn't get a good picture because this area was really crowded, but it was neat to see. Madeline didn't know what to make of it.




We had a great time and we can't wait to go back and see more. I had Madeline walk the whole time so we only made it through about 40% of the park. She did great but was a little slow. Next time I'll bring the double stroller so we can move a bit faster and I can get my workout.

No comments: